Brand Karma and ILTM have released a study on the Asian luxury traveler & social media, analyzing millions of social media posts and online reviews from Asian luxury travelers to gather in-depth insight into their behavior. It is frequently stated and widely agreed on that Asia is the region where social media matters most to luxury travel brands. With several of the largest countries in the world and a highly fragmented landscape of social media sites, Asia is both the present and future of luxury travel, and the epicenter of digital media growth over the next decade.
Here are some of the study’s key findings:
- APAC luxury travelers use social media to research and share their travel experiences at an unprecedented growth rate. They posted 53% of all luxury travel reviews written between 2012 and 2014.
- Asian Millennial Travelers already account for nearly 35% of the US$600 billion spent by Asians on international travel. By 2020 they are projected to account for 50% of the global travel spending across Asia-Pacific.
- Among the Asian Millennials, Chinese Millennial travelers are the most lucrative, spending nearly twice as much as other Asian Millennial travelers. (Indian Millennials come in second.)
- Instagram generates 15 times the level of luxury brand engagement as Facebook, despite having ten percent of its reach. As of February 2014, Bangkok’s Siam Paragon was the most Instagrammed place in the world. (more about Instagram’s success in China)
- Between January 2012 and March 2014, social postings by Chinese luxury travelers increased 89%, while social postings by the rest of APAC luxury travelers increased by 5%.
- Satisfaction levels among these travelers also steadily increased: the study’s satisfaction metric saw an increase of 131% among travelers posting in Chinese, and an increase of 45% among travelers posting in English.
- Key differences between luxury travelers across APAC: Luxury travelers from Mainland China and Oceania place higher value on helpfulness and efficiency of service; APAC travelers excluding China prioritize breakfasts and peacefulness in their reviews.
- Differences in review platforms: The Chinese prefer to post on Ctrip and Weibo while the other APAC luxury travelers prefer to use TripAdvisor and Facebook most.
Learn more in our Global Ready China Seminars
Article & Image: Brand Karma